Here we talk about TheoTown in general.
rose_marly
Villager
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store

windows 7 support?

Post by rose_marly »

Dear Developers,

I have a major concern about Theotown on Windows 7, and I was hoping you could shed some light on it. With Steam ending support for Windows 7, which happens to be my main operating system (and for many others too), I'm worried about the future of the game on this platform.

Windows 7 has been solid and widely used, and it has played a significant role in the game's history. But with Steam shutting down on Windows 7, the only option left for players would be to resort to piracy, which feels terrible considering our strong connection to the game.

So my question is, Are there any plans or efforts from the development team to continue supporting Windows 7? It would mean a lot to us Windows 7 users who have been loyal players throughout the game's journey. It's like a father-son relationship, you know?

I'd greatly appreciate any insights or alternative solutions you might have in mind to ensure that players on Windows 7 can continue enjoying Theotown without facing such a predicament.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your response.
:linux :android :ios :windows
I am everywhere :)

DualHD
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Platform

Re: windows 7 support?

Post by DualHD »

rose_marly wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 16:19
Dear Developers,

I have a major concern about Theotown on Windows 7, and I was hoping you could shed some light on it. With Steam ending support for Windows 7, which happens to be my main operating system (and for many others too), I'm worried about the future of the game on this platform.

Windows 7 has been solid and widely used, and it has played a significant role in the game's history. But with Steam shutting down on Windows 7, the only option left for players would be to resort to piracy, which feels terrible considering our strong connection to the game.

So my question is, Are there any plans or efforts from the development team to continue supporting Windows 7? It would mean a lot to us Windows 7 users who have been loyal players throughout the game's journey. It's like a father-son relationship, you know?

I'd greatly appreciate any insights or alternative solutions you might have in mind to ensure that players on Windows 7 can continue enjoying Theotown without facing such a predicament.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your response.
You still use Windows 7? bro you need to upgrade. Windows 7 is really old just upgrade it to Windows 11 if you can.
Awesome :fire

rose_marly
Villager
Reactions:

Post by rose_marly »

DualHD wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 10:49

You still use Windows 7? bro you need to upgrade. Windows 7 is really old just upgrade it to Windows 11 if you can.
:bb
Yo dual I use Linux as my main OS but windows 7 as my side one, but people have their concernes. When's the last time you used a OS with no bloatware, spyware and is consistent with its design. At this point everyone has adapted to windows 10, try once switching back to windows 7 and feel its Glory shine on you, you will feel free and liberated or just try Linux once

Also bro thought u can simply upgrade form 7 to 11 💀(well yes u can but it's simply not viable), my laptop is from 2014 running with a 730m and also Toshiba portrage 780 form 2010. Their great and there's no need to upgrade (it's all just planned obsolescence, won't let that slide)

JustAnyone
Developer
Reactions:

Platform

Post by JustAnyone »

Since you use Linux as your main OS, Steam is available on most Linux distributions and so is TheoTown. To play TheoTown, you just need to have Java installed on the linux distribution. That solves the issue with Windows 7 support.

rose_marly
Villager
Reactions:

Post by rose_marly »

JustAnyone wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 15:12
Since you use Linux as your main OS, Steam is available on most Linux distributions and so is TheoTown. To play TheoTown, you just need to have Java installed on the linux distribution. That solves the issue with Windows 7 support.
Yes that is correct but on my laptop/tablet I only run windows 7 and also it feels like betrayal to stop support on windows 7 because of both it's history are well interlinked. Feels like losing your childhood home. It's just planned obsolescence stoping the game. Would it be possible to atleast order a working dvd version of the game without steam support, even if it's more expensive I would totally get it

JustAnyone
Developer
Reactions:

Platform

Post by JustAnyone »

It's not a choice that we can make as the game relies on Steam to provide certain functionality of the game such as online features. It would appear that Steam has already made a decision which is to officially discontinue support for it. Besides, Microsoft themselves dropped support for Windows 7, which, in addition, leaves it vulnerable to security vulnerabilities. So I'm afraid there's nothing that we can do for you in this case.

rose_marly
Villager
Reactions:

Post by rose_marly »

JustAnyone wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:01
It's not a choice that we can make as the game relies on Steam to provide certain functionality of the game such as online features. It would appear that Steam has already made a decision which is to officially discontinue support for it. Besides, Microsoft themselves dropped support for Windows 7, which, in addition, leaves it vulnerable to security vulnerabilities. So I'm afraid there's nothing that we can do for you in this case.
It's quite easy to get 2nd party security on windows 7 and also woundn't a custom launcher for theotown hurt ?

JustAnyone
Developer
Reactions:

Platform

Post by JustAnyone »

Dedicating such resources for a team of 2 people is just not viable at all.

rose_marly
Villager
Reactions:

Post by rose_marly »

JustAnyone wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:24
Dedicating such resources for a team of 2 people is just not viable at all.
Or a paid.exe file?

Kulche
Pluche
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Kulche »

That's an even worse idea.
I'm not lazy, I'm motivated to do nothing!
...blame lobby for that

rose_marly
Villager
Reactions:

Post by rose_marly »

I know man, I know it was just u know sadness, makes me feel old......

DualHD
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Platform

Post by DualHD »

rose_marly wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:41
I know man, I know it was just u know sadness, makes me feel old......
I'm sorry but it is what it is. Almost everyone has upgraded to Windows 11/10. Microsoft literally discontinued support for Windows 7 and there's nothing we can do.
Awesome :fire

rose_marly
Villager
Reactions:

Post by rose_marly »

DualHD wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 16:58

I'm sorry but it is what it is. Almost everyone has upgraded to Windows 11/10. Microsoft literally discontinued support for Windows 7 and there's nothing we can do.
Well at least porting the game on to a open source luncher can help like Lutris. It will still continue support for windows 7 since it's based on Firefox rather than chromium

Edit: Firefox will be supported till only 2024 September so we only have 1 year to enjoy windows 7

Kulche
Pluche
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Kulche »

As it has been said, using launchers other than Steam is effort no one is willing to take. It's simply not viable at all.
I'm not lazy, I'm motivated to do nothing!
...blame lobby for that

SenyaBell
Bell
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by SenyaBell »

just upgrade to windows 10 or 11
\(латекс?\)

Nektarios
Settler
Reactions:

Post by Nektarios »

Support ends on January 1 2024 on Windows 8 & 8.1 as well.

But my fav version is Windows 8.1 :(

PixelDubs
TheoTown Veteran in Pension
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by PixelDubs »

I get it, windows 10 and 11 is mid as hell, also there is a mobile version of the game as we all know which is the same thing so you can play on that aswell, it's that or upgrade to Windows 11 on a newer pc.
RP NATIONS LIST

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Game Discussion”