[Added]Improving the road length count

Share your ideas about possible future content here.
mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store

Platform

[Added]Improving the road length count

Post by mdk_813 »

Hi,
I noticed something, which is probably just a minor issue, but nonetheless, I think it should be changed or improved.
Some updates ago a tile-count was added to the road-tools, and I really think this is a helpful addition.
However, the tool starts counting at the neighboring tiles and not at the tile you start your road at! This can cause some unwanted problems.
So, if you draw out a road up to the 10 marker, you do not get a road that is 10 tiles long. It will actually be 11 tiles long, because your starting tile counts as 0.
I think it would be more logical to count the starting tile as 1!

I hope, you get what I'm trying to say here... :?

CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: Improving the road length count

Post by CommanderABab »

It's because a point has length zero.

AwkwrdPrtMskrt
Metropolitan
Reactions:

Platform

Post by AwkwrdPrtMskrt »

I noticed it too, but I understand why. The point you're building from is counted as point zero, so what you do is take 1 away from your intended length (say I want to build a 64-tile length road, it'll be from 0-63).

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

Yes, I'm sure it makes total sense, in some intricate nerdy way.
But it is also highly impractical. If I draw a road to the 10 marker, I want a road that is 10 tiles long, not a road that is 10+1.
Moreover, the first tile of a road is not a point at all. A point has no extension. It is indefinetly small.
The first (!) tile of a road, however, does have an extension. It is not zero but 1. Zero would be no road. Or more precisely, the space between the last empty tile and the first road tile.

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

AwkwrdPrtMskrt wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 03:19
I noticed it too, but I understand why. The point you're building from is counted as point zero, so what you do is take 1 away from your intended length (say I want to build a 64-tile length road, it'll be from 0-63).
Yes, I understand that. But it is stupid and counterintuitive.

CommanderABab
AB
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by CommanderABab »

mdk_813 wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 04:35
Yes, I'm sure it makes total sense, in some intricate nerdy way.
But it is also highly impractical. If I draw a road to the 10 marker, I want a road that is 10 tiles long, not a road that is 10+1.
Moreover, the first tile of a road is not a point at all. A point has no extension. It is indefinetly small.
The first (!) tile of a road, however, does have an extension. It is not zero but 1. Zero would be no road. Or more precisely, the space between the last empty tile and the first road tile.
Here is why it is a point. If you press the white tile when building a highway or alley or any wider road, you get nothing. Selecting a single road tile is available and thus builds a single road tile so that intersections may be improved. And what is an intersection of two lines? It is a point!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”