1,000,000 inhabitants
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Re: Learn Isometric Pixel Art Thread

Post by KINGTUT10101 »

Theo made a step by step guide on isometric pixel art buildings.

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

I really don't think this is a bad idea.
Because even though there are countless tutorials out there and also a basic tutorial on here, it seems like 9 out of 10 people trying to contribute are making the same basic beginner mistakes.

But, I don't see the problem in isometric pixeling but in pixeling itself. For isometric pixeling you just need to remember that a "straight" line is drawn by drawing two pixels next to each other and then repeating that one line further up or down and so on.
Correct scale, lighting and shading, avoiding blatant fully-saturated colors, and using plain areas of a single color without any structure to them all seem to be far more problematic than adhering to an isometric perspective.

I'm sure, we would all benefit from a larger variety of high-quality content. If more tutorials could help in that matter, then why not?

mdk_813
Inhabitant of a Country
Reactions:

Platform

Post by mdk_813 »

So here are my tipps on some of the basic pixeling mistakes:

- out of scale plugins (I did that one, too): People in TT are 3 pixels high, that's the scale of reference. You can go slightly higher at times, but not by much!

- using too bright and WAY, WAY, WAAAAYYYY too saturated colors: In my eyes (this is probably a matter of taste), a plugin should fit in nicely with what's already in the game and not stand out because of blatantly screaming fully-saturated colors.

- using plain outlines: Theotown does not have a comic-style! For realisticly looking plugins, it is essential to get rid of those obvious outlines, that you used when constructing your plugin, either by directly putting colors next to each other or by making the outlines a slightly darker shade of the surrounding colors.

- Lights and shadows are important: Of course shadows need to be roughly in the right area, which is hard at times, but it is also useful to paint edges that are directed towards the light slighlty brighter than the rest of the plain. Usually, these will be the left edges (the outermost pixels) and the highest edges of a building.
Another good idea is to make the lower edges of a wall slightly darker than the rest of the wall. You can make that even more subtle if you paint the second lowest line of pixels in an intermediate tone that is in between the dark tone you used on the lowest edge and the brighter tone you used on the rest of the wall. Of course, you could fade it out even more, if you like.

- surface areas need structure:
A plain blob of a single color without any structure to it looks clumsy, just add some noise in the same hue but with different brightness (There are noise-filters for that, but don't overdo it!). You can also add some other subtle hue variations into the mix. For example, if you have a wall that is grey (or hopefully a structure of greys with slightly varying brightness) then you can add in some spots of desaturated greens to mimic moss or algae etc. Browns could also be used to represent dust or dirt, etc.

Bearbear76
Former Bearbear65
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Bearbear76 »

Try out here : click!

Bearbear76
Former Bearbear65
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Bearbear76 »

mdk_813 wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 23:33
So here are my tipps on some of the basic pixeling mistakes:

- using too bright and WAY, WAY, WAAAAYYYY too saturated colors: In my eyes (this is probably a matter of taste), a plugin should fit in nicely with what's already in the game and not stand out because of blatantly screaming fully-saturated colors.
Yes I agree
Keep the original or base color at somewhere around
saturation : 60~80%
Darkness : 70~80%

KINGTUT10101
1,000,000 inhabitants
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by KINGTUT10101 »

I don't know what to tell you. I learned everything I know from this forum.

Bearbear76
Former Bearbear65
Reactions:

Plugin Creator

Platform

Post by Bearbear76 »

former member wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 00:45
Now, can someone teach me pixel art, especially you, pixel art masters?
I want to do great plugins like @former member[Posts][PM], @mdk_813[Posts][PM] and @KINGTUT10101[Posts][PM].
Try to make stuff first and then get improvements
It's better that way

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Forum”