City of Arkham

Display your city's beauty to the world. Capture and share captivating screenshots of your urban creations in this community forum. Inspire others with your remarkable designs and receive recognition for your visionary city-building skills!
Montecristo
Villager
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store

Platform

City of Arkham

Post by Montecristo »

My own version of the fictional city of Arkham from the Lovecraft universe. The city was founded in the colonial era in what is now Lovecraft County, Massachussets. It is bisected by the Miskatonic River, bordered to the south by Boston and to the north by rural Lovecraft County and the village of Dunwich.

The heart of the city is Midtown, the earliest residential and commercial centers that have grown into the central part of the city. It is bordered to the east by the Iron Flats, an industrial district that began growing after the war and post-war industry booms in the 40's and 50's.

To the south of Midtown, the Riverdrive is home to Arkham's well-to-do and is considered the most fashionable of Arkham's districts. To the west, Kansburg and Dent Islands harbor small enclaves of residential and commercial activity. Southeast is the community of Little Libya, which saw an influx of Libyan immigration in the 1970's before immigration was curtailed. It is home to Arkham's only Muslim population and there is much concern about disproportionate levels of crime and inequality here.

South of Riverside, the King's industrial district leads into Salsburg-Kent, once its own city, and Old Kent. East of King's, the Salsburg and Lower Salsburg Industrial Complex is one of the city's major industrial zones.

North of Midtown and Iron Flats, North Halford stands as one of the older communities on the Miskatonic River. After being almost deserted during the 1980's, the small community on the fringe of the city has seen a revitalization.

On the Eastern side of the city, Pike's Landing is the major industrial complex. Farther east, Upper and Lower Fleetwood are almost a city in their own right. The town of Fleetwood was once its own municipality, but after the Revolutionary War, the United States government decried that it would be under the municipal control of Arkham for its loyalty to Britain during the War.

Between the Iron Flats and Fleetwood, the islands of Sunset and Sackford lay as import commercial districts, home to the Arkham One TV news station and the offices of the Massachussets Public Broadcast Corporation.

City Statistical Information:

Population ~20,000
Tax Rates: 4%-6%
Ethnic Makeup: 77% Anglo-American, 3% Equatorial African, 4% Hispanic, 15% Libyan, 1% Other

Murder Rate: ~4 Homicides Per Year
Comments on City Crime: The homicide rate has been dramatically reduced since the Terror of '73 and the ensuing citywide bloodbath that did not end until 1994. Nowadays, some homicides do happen. They are mostly ritualistic killings.

Comments on City Health: City Health leaders are unsure why, but Arkhamites report night terrors and depression in disproportionately large numbers. After the closing of the Moorhead Asylum in 1983, there is no formal registry of the clinically insane in Arkham.

theotownmaster
Settler
Reactions:

Post by theotownmaster »

That is the best town I've seen. I had thought about trying to remake Manhattan. You've inspired me to try it. Very awesome work you've done here. It must've taken you forever to lay it all out and make everything work properly.

Montecristo
Villager
Reactions:

Platform

Post by Montecristo »

I quite honestly didn't have a build plan in mind. Lovecraft died in the thirties so Arkham as a setting was kind of frozen in time there. I basically added my own lore to his basic idea of the town, especially the history post-1930.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Screenshots”