dom.stephen
Small-town resident
Reactions:
Plugins: Showcase Store
Version: Beta

Platform

My town's a ripe mess

Post by dom.stephen »

Here's my screenshot of one of the towns I was working on.
Screenshot_2018-06-27-13-56-10.png
If you look on the minimap, it's very messy. The commercial and residential buildings are in a mishmash, sometimes the same buildings all sit in one spot, and even though I don't want this to happen, my industrial spot gets shoved to one corner, exacerbating traffic problems there.
And this isn't just in this town, by the way. This happens in every town I make.
How do I fix this problem?

Henkster
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Platform

Re: My town's a ripe mess

Post by Henkster »

dom.stephen wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 08:04
Here's my screenshot of one of the towns I was working on.
Screenshot_2018-06-27-13-56-10.png
If you look on the minimap, it's very messy. The commercial and residential buildings are in a mishmash, sometimes the same buildings all sit in one spot, and even though I don't want this to happen, my industrial spot gets shoved to one corner, exacerbating traffic problems there.
And this isn't just in this town, by the way. This happens in every town I make.
How do I fix this problem?
Build strong and cool infrastructure in the industrial areas and/or don't focus all your industrial areas in one place. When you start a new city, the first commercial area you build, try to keep building commercial areas near it and keep resedential areas separate, and eventually that commercial area which has grown and grown could become the CBD of your city / town and then you cold build other commercial areas but focus on it being commercial, by adding more commercial areas on to it when the commercial demand is up, and you'll create separate large commercial hubs in your city. Overall, just try to add areas around the original place to built a specific zone in the beginning, and for industrial, you can spread out but keep far away from residents. Sometimes, it's nice to build industrial zones behind the CBD or large commercial hubs, because the commercial zones don't get upset by the pollution and noise and they barricade it from the residential zones.

dom.stephen
Small-town resident
Reactions:
Version: Beta

Platform

Post by dom.stephen »

Henkster wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 09:25
Build strong and cool infrastructure in the industrial areas and/or don't focus all your industrial areas in one place. When you start a new city, the first commercial area you build, try to keep building commercial areas near it and keep resedential areas separate, and eventually that commercial area which has grown and grown could become the CBD of your city / town and then you cold build other commercial areas but focus on it being commercial, by adding more commercial areas on to it when the commercial demand is up, and you'll create separate large commercial hubs in your city. Overall, just try to add areas around the original place to built a specific zone in the beginning, and for industrial, you can spread out but keep far away from residents. Sometimes, it's nice to build industrial zones behind the CBD or large commercial hubs, because the commercial zones don't get upset by the pollution and noise and they barricade it from the residential zones.
I try to implement that in my towns. My problem though is that even though I try to arrange it (see top right of screenshot where I try to arrange the commercial area in a grid) it still looks like a mess. And when your town expands, that becomes more of a problem: smaller service buildings go undemolished even when the bigger ones are built already, traffic piles up because you somehow miss a spot when you upgraded the roads, and amidst all that, boom, you suddenly forget to build a fire station up top, so it becomes an inferno. Again.

Henkster
Inhabitant of a Megacity
Reactions:

Platform

Post by Henkster »

dom.stephen wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 13:45
Henkster wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 09:25
I try to implement that in my towns. My problem though is that even though I try to arrange it (see top right of screenshot where I try to arrange the commercial area in a grid) it still looks like a mess. And when your town expands, that becomes more of a problem: smaller service buildings go undemolished even when the bigger ones are built already, traffic piles up because you somehow miss a spot when you upgraded the roads, and amidst all that, boom, you suddenly forget to build a fire station up top, so it becomes an inferno. Again.
Well at the end of the day, it's your city. So be creative and just have fun! Building high infrastructure gets fun... 😏

RyanVJ
Inhabitant of a Supercluster
Reactions:

Platform

Post by RyanVJ »

I have my city where commercial and residential are mixed, in my opinion, your city is fine actually, just move the farms much farther. The mixed residential, commercial is true for some old fashioned european cities and for me, if you organized a city too much, it kinda loses its character or uniqueness but hey its your city so just have fun. And you need highways too and other infra.

Chris Avalon
Settler
Reactions:

Post by Chris Avalon »

Ryan is right. Remember that in reality no city is perfect and that is true in Theotown as well. Part of the fun is using creativity to manage the imperfections the best you can.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Game Discussion”